Monday, July 20, 2009

Weekend Recap

On Thursday, July 16th Rachel had about a 3 hour appointment with Neuropsychologist. She has seen these doctors before and really likes them. In the afternoon we met with Care Partners which is a volunteer program that provides support for children and adult bone marrow transplant patients. They have family volunteers which act as a best friend...someone that might support you like a friend would even though you are far from home. They also have unit volunteers that will be working on that floor of the hospital. They can play games or come in and sit with the patient while the caregiver takes a break. Sounds like a good program and they have been doing this at this hospital for 25 yrs. We also found out that you can't use cell phones in these particular hospital rooms (something to do with the equipment.) We can use computers but they said the Internet connection in these rooms aren't very good.

Friday we didn't have any appointments so we slept in and then did some cleaning around the condo. Later we took a trip to Walmart...of course. :) In celebration of Rachel's birthday, which is on transplant day (Aug. 7), we ate at Chili's. On Saturday we went to Mall of America. We walked around until we were beat and then headed back to the condo. We have been going to a coffee shop on most days to use the wireless Internet connection there since my phone seems to be having trouble here. Now it appears we do have connection at the condo through my phone so we are happy about that.

On Sunday we visited a nice local church that has been in touch with us. They are a very friendly group and we enjoyed a good time of worship with them. Our neighbors go to the same church and invited us to lunch. That was a great time of fellowship. Since Rachel will be admitted to the hospital on Sunday, this was pretty much our last free weekend for a while so we tried to have some fun and I think we succeeded. Here are some pictures from the Mall of America.


3 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel, Hi Jill,

    I heard about you two this week at Southtown Baptist Church in Bloomington, although I didn't see you there. We are Roger and Meg Hesch. We have served in AFrica for 23 years and the owner of the condo where you are staying is a good friend of ours. Another thing we have in common is that Roger had a BMT exactly 10 years ago, this month, for Stage 4 bone marrow cancer. So, we have been through what you are going through. His was done at UMn Fairview Hospital BMT ward/clinic.
    Annette Freidheim was his case manager, nurse Penny was our nurse in the Clinic, and Jeff Miller was our hematologist....they are all excellent practitioners.
    We live about 15 minutes from you.
    Please give us a call if you like:
    Home: 952-808-9426; Meg - 651-894-3837;
    Roger - 651-894-4539
    God bless you as you walk by faith.
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there Rachel and Jill,
    Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you at Southtown this past Sunday, but I'm a Sunday school teacher for the 1 and 2 year olds and had to get to class before the boys destroyed the place.
    My name is Beth Cook. I am currently working on my master's degree in marriage and family therapy and a liscensed professional counselor. I will be completing my classroom work in the mft program in September.
    The reason why I am writing is to let you know that I do have training in counseling as well as family dynamics. I am trained in a holistic approach to counseling (Adlerian therapy, specifically) and I would just like to let you know that if you have any problems during your time here in Minnesota, I am here for you. If you are having a bad day and need to vent to someone safe, or if you're having a good day, or if either of you want to meet with someone seperatly I am available. As a therapist, I am bound ethically to keep things confidential so you don't have to worry about me telling anyone else what is talked about.

    Please feel free to contact me anytime!

    my email address is:
    beth-cook@bethel.edu

    my home phone number is 952-884-0804 or
    my cell is 952-261-2823

    I hope to get to know you guys while you are here in Minnesota and I pray that you think of Minnesota and Southtown as your home away from home!

    Beth Cook

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of people praying for you that you do not know. Could we get and address for the condo so that we can send stuff to the two of you? My daughter met Brittney through her boyfriend, Matt Fisher. I think they went to Baylor together. Please let us bless you by
    sending some things to help make your days brighter! I am giving my e-mail so if you would rather send it instead of putting it on the blog.
    Ann Thompson atrubyt@tx.rr.com

    ReplyDelete